(1) I noticed another raid on known girlie bars around town has netted another 87 foreign Asian nationals. I understand that people involved in the trafficking of women and associated prostitution regard countries going through internal conflict as good bases for their operations. I suspect the presence of the UN is also a good indicator.
The raids have included Mona Lisa, Moon, Great Wall and Mayflower Bars and (although I am not sure on this one) the Non-Drunking Bar. I have never been to any of these – honest !
(2) A couple of days ago, I read that the Timorese government had asked Australia to allow Timorese workers in to mitigate labour shortages in the fruit picking industry. I was speaking to a Timorese who runs his family’s coffee plantation way up in the highlands and he laughed. He struggles to get Timorese to work for him to pick coffee. He might get a couple of days work then they have had enough. His worker retention rate was less than 10% and he aint giving up those 10%. He knew why OZ had ignored the request.
(3) The Comorro River mouth has broken through to the sea about 300 metres east of the most direct route. The current channel runs parallel to the seashore and runs right past the Ocean View deck which has been running a big risk of being undermined. Some of the supports have been strengthened.
(4) There is a bar that is new to me called “Amigos Club” which is upstairs from the New Sanan Rai restaurant a couple of hundred metres east of the ANZ bank. Cozy with a terrace bar feel, it looks promising for a private function of about 20 but no more.
(5) A friend underwent emergency surgery at Dili National Hospital a couple of days ago. The preferred option of flying to Darwin simply wasn’t on in this case. The operation was performed by an OZ doctor and a Dutch anaesthetist and reportedly, the experience was a happy one – at least the bit after the emergency reception area. The operating bit was done in the new section of hospital opened not so long ago. No red wine was involved.